Accessibility in Design Mobility
For anyone facing mobility issues, an easy to navigate household is essential. It’s easy to overlook some of the most necessary ingredients in making a mobility friendly environment, though, especially when you’re on a budget or aren’t facing the same mobility issues as a housemate. We put together just a few aspects to consider to get you started when you’re seeking an all-inclusive design:
What’s worse than having two spectacular choices in a one choice situation?
Of course, there are tons of far worse things, but let’s pretend this is a fairy-tale world. In this world, the only problem is the choice between your favorite brand’s clawfoot tub and a clawfoot made by some other brand. Though they’re both the picture of design, quality, and style, you’re already sold on the familiar brand’s clawfoot. You’ve spent months imagining this clawfoot in your head, detailing it with matching tile and accents. While the other brand whispers in your ear, the familiar one screams from mountains just for you. There’s only one problem:
We’ve got some news for you, Ottawa.
IKEA has discontinued it’s AKURUM line of cabinetry. As of February 2nd, 2015, Ikea has discontinued the AKURUM line of kitchen cabinetry. Customers will no longer be able to build complete kitchens using the AKURUM system. Building from the success of the AKURUM line of the past 20 years or so, Ikea has developed a new, improved cabinetry system (given the alluring title of SEKTION). It was introduced Feb. 2nd, 2015.
An unspoken goal in bathroom remodeling and design is to keep everyone quiet about the toilet.
Yes, the toilet is the star of the show, in practical terms. After all, It is the whole point of a bathroom, the entire reason for its existence. The bathroom is a place of the utmost privacy, and we hardly want to be reminded of what goes on in there. We want our guests to be blown away by the fantastic imagery of our most intimate room, not the toilet and it’s usual function. While toilets can be beautiful and functional, they make for a terrible conversational piece.
LindenCraft Fine Renovations and Design of Ottawa, Canada Receives Best Of Houzz 2015 Award
Over 25 Million Monthly Unique Users Rated Top-Rated Home Building,
Remodeling and Design Professionals in Canada and Around the World
Ottawa, Canada, January 26, 2015 – LindenCraft Fine Renovations and Design of Ottawa has been awarded “Best Of Houzz” for Design & Customer Satisfaction by Houzz, the leading platform for home remodeling and design. The design-centered kitchen and bath remodel company was chosen by the more than 25 million monthly unique users that comprise the Houzz community from among more than 500,000 active home building, remodeling and design industry professionals.
Design Made Simple Decorating Stairs
There are a lot of decisions to be made when remodeling a home. It’s important that your home identify you and reflect your personal style and taste. When you enter, it should feel as though you’ve stepped inside a familiar portrayal of your inner self. That takes time, of course, but little by little your home can transform.
When turning your house into a home, don’t forget the mighty staircase and its many design options. The potential in a staircase is unbelievable! Unfortunately, they can start out a bit bland. With the right mindset and a great designer, your stairs aren’t just the catalyst to get you from high to low or low to high. No, with the right motivation, your stairs can become the highlight of your home.
Here are some nifty ideas to turn your trip upstairs into a journey:
Where better to put the endless worlds that books afford you than alongside your stairs? There are numerous ways to incorporate books into your design, including:
- Utilize the space under your stairs as a book haven. A small nook tucked in a secret place is a reader’s dream.
- Shelves can be built directly into the walls under the stairs for a simple bookshelf. This idea would also work on the wall adjacent to your stairs, giving anyone going up or down a journey through your favorites. Try colour-blocking the books for added beauty!
- If you want to get creative, have your remodel professional build the shelves directly into the front of each step for a gorgeous design (again, colour-blocking would work nicely here). A clear sliding door can help limit any dangerous situations and add to the creative aspect of the design.
Whether you’re a world-class painter or a kid with big aspirations, your art is worthy of showcase.
- Line your stairs with your imagination with DIY frames. There are a lot of creative options here, as you can build custom frames, have the frames done professionally, or go frameless.
- If you have kids growing up in your house and don’t mind a little messy creativity, using chalkboard paint on the wall (or walls) accompanying your stairs can spur masterpieces.
- There’s nothing like photography to make a statement. Line your stairs with photos you (or someone in your family) has taken. Have each photo printed in different sizes and even set the mood with them.
“Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.” - Matsuo Basho
Profound quotes can teleport your guests from your stairs to wondrous places. Line the walls around your stairs with daring messages, beautiful phrases and classic verses.
- Different fonts will give your quotes different looks. Test out different fonts and sizes to see what works best.
- Accompany quotes with family photos and school pictures for a more personalized look.
- Having quotes directly on the steps is a great way to inspire guests every step of the way.
There’s nothing that can compare to colourful lighting on a staircase. Plain lights work just as well, especially when designed with mood in mind.
- Line your steps with coloured lights (even just a small circular lights in the middle of each step would do) for an amazing experience.
- For big families, having a different family member’s name spelled every couple of steps can delight.
- Incorporate holiday decorating lights along the rail for an easy alternative.
Of course, the best part of any design element in your home is showing off your personal style and taste. Your stairs are as much a part of personal style as, say, your colour choices. Be sure to put extra care into making every aspect of your remodel work for you!
LindenCraft prides itself on design, ideas, and fresh takes on creativity. Visit us on Facebook, Twitter and Houzz for more design inspiration. Be sure to check out our Remodel Planner to get your next remodel started right!
- Ottawa Kitchens (17)
- Ottawa Bathrooms (8)
- Ottawa Renovation Management (9)
- Ottawa Room Ideas (29)
- Ottawa Building Materials (11)
- Ottawa Eco Renovations (7)
- Ottawa Seasonal Renovation (11)
- Ottawa Renovation Stories (7)
- Ottawa House Repairs (8)
- Ottawa Interior Inspirations (22)
- Ottawa Remodel FAQ (2)
- Ottawa Renovation Featured Products (0)
- Accessibility in Design (1)